In Denver alone, depression affects countless individuals, causing struggle in their lives each day. It’s difficult to watch a loved one suffer from depression as it takes control of their happiness and lifestyle. However, if you think someone you know may be suffering from depression, there are symptoms you can watch for and ways you can help during their time of need.
Potential Indicators of Depression
Depression can manifest itself in a number of ways. The following list is by no means exhaustive, but it may be helpful to look for these signs of depression so you can keep track of your loved one’s well-being and know when to encourage them to seek professional help.
- Persistent or repeated periods of sadness
- Trouble making decisions, remembering details, or concentrating
- Low appetite or overeating
- Feelings of sadness, guilt, or hopelessness
- Sleeping problems
- Loss of interest
- Persistent aches, pains, and headaches
If your loved one is affected by these symptoms (impacting their family, relationships, or work without a clear solution), you may find it best to help them see a professional with experience in treating depression. Our Denver mental health clinic, Emerge, offers counseling for depression and other mental health issues.
Supporting a Loved One Diagnosed with Depression
Once your loved one is diagnosed with depression by their Denver doctor or mental health professional, there are a variety of ways that you can support them. We recommend taking the following actions:
- Don’t try to cure their depression
- Encourage them to stick with treatment
- Offer to help with potentially overwhelming everyday tasks
- Be patient
- Make plans together
- Give positive reinforcement
- Offer a low-stress environment
By showing your support, you can help your loved one on the road to recovery.
Get More Information on Depression & Mental Health Counseling
Do you have questions about a particular matter related to depression or mental health? Contact us today for more information on our services for depression in Denver or to schedule an appointment.